Dr. Xianbo (Bill) Zhao is a Senior Lecturer in the College of Project Management, Built Environment, Asset & Maintenance Management (CoPBA), School of Engineering and Technology, Central Queensland University (CQUniversity). Dr. Zhao joined Central Queensland University in April 2014. He holds bachelor and master qualifications in construction management awarded by Southeast University (China) and has a PhD degree in building awarded by the National University of Singapore (NUS). Before joining CQUniversity, he was an Engineer in Nanjing Tongcheng Project Management Consulting Co. Ltd, China in 2008-2010, providing consulting services for metro companies.
Dr. Zhao has been conducting research into the issues surrounding the management of civil and building construction and built environment. His main research interests include construction risk, sustainable construction, adoption of innovative technologies in construction, and management and organization in construction. Dr. Zhao has been active in construction risk research since 2010. His doctoral research was related to enterprise risk management in construction operations. He has led or participated in research projects relating to enterprise risk management, risk prediction techniques, risk network evolution, political risk management in international construction and safety risk. Dr. Zhao has also investigated the issues relating to diffusion of innovative technologies (e.g., BIM, 3D printing, machine learning, etc.) in the building and construction sector.
Dr. Zhao has over 110 peer-reviewed publications in the field of building and construction management. His research output has gained national and international recognitions as evidenced by the publications in leading journals, high citations and international awards. Dr. Zhao receives a Scopus h-index of 29. Four of his journal articles have been recognized as Highly Cited Papers by Clarivate Analytics, whose citation data are used for Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA). Dr. Zhao was the recipient of the Excellent Paper Award at the 19th International Symposium on the Advancement of Construction Management and Real Estate (CRIOCM2014), and the continuous recipient of the CQUniversity Publication Recognition Award in 2017-2019.
Dr. Zhao is currently the Associate Editor of the international referred journals Advances in Civil Engineering, and Frontiers in Built Environment, and the Editorial Board Member of Buildings, and International Journal of Project Organization and Management. He was also invited to serve as the Guest Editors of four Special Issues for the journals Sustainability, Complexity, and Advances in Civil Engineering. Dr. Zhao was the Scientific Committee Chair of the 43rd Annual Conference of Australasian University Building Education Association (AUBEA2019), and Scientific/Organizing/Technical Committee Member of 15 international academic conferences.
Dr. Zhao is the member of International Association for Life-Cycle Civil Engineering (IALCCE) and Chinese Research Institute of Construction Management (CRIOCM). He is also registered in the COVID-19 Expert Database by the Australian Academy of Science. Dr. Zhao is a detailed assessor for Australian Research Council (ARC) research projects and international reviewer for the research proposals at King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals, Saudi Arabia, and the Ministry of Education and Science, the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Dr Zhao is eligible to be a principal supervisor of PhD students.
• Student Voice Commendation, Central Queensland University, 12/2020
• Publication Recognition Award, Central Queensland University, 11/2019
• Publication Recognition Award, Central Queensland University, 11/2018
• Publication Recognition Award, Central Queensland University, 11/2017
• Excellent Paper Award, The 19th International Symposium on the Advancement of Construction Management and Real Estate, CRIOCM, 11/2014
Member, International Association for Life-Cycle Civil Engineering (IALCCE), 09/2017 – Present
Member, Chinese Research Institute of Construction Management (CRIOCM), 11/2019-Present
• Associate Editor, Frontiers in Built Environment, 03/2021– Present.
• Editorial Board Member, Buildings, 02/2021 – Present.
• Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Project Organization and Management, 04/2015 – Present.
• Guest Editor, Special Issue “Complexity of Construction Project Networks”, Complexity, 05/2020 – 09/2020.
• Lead Guest Editor, Special Issue “Innovative Management Practice for Resilience and Sustainability of Civil Infrastructures”, Sustainability, 06/2018 – 05/2019.
June 2008-June 2010, Nanjing Metro Co. Ltd, China
I am currently accredited for supervision in the following:
At the level of Principal Supervisor
Building - Building Construction Management and Project Planning
• Enterprise/project risk management • Sustainable construction • Project organization management • Smart construction
Civil Engineering - Infrastructure Engineering and Asset Management
Sustainable infrastructure; social benefits of infrastructure