I am a Professor at the Appleton Institute for Behavioural Science, which is based at CQUniversity’s Adelaide campus in South Australia.
I am interested in a range of research topics related to sleep and circadian rhythms, including the following…
• effects of sleep restriction/deprivation on neurobehavioural performance.
• effects of chronic sleep loss on health (e.g. diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease, depression).
• effects of irregular sleep/wake patterns on the circadian system.
• comparative effects of fatigue and alcohol intoxication on efficiency/safety.
• effects of fatigue on expert decision-making.
• use of counter-measures to minimise/mitigate fatigue-related impairment.
• effects of irregular duty schedules on sleep, alertness, and neurobehavioural performance (e.g. rural/urban train drivers, long-haul truck drivers).
• effects of domestic and international flight schedules on sleep, alertness, and neurobehavioural performance (e.g. 737, 767, 747, 744 pilots).
• relationships between training loads, sleep quality/quantity, and sports performance in elite athletes (e.g. AFL footballers, Olympic swimmers).
• computer models to predict the work-related fatigue associated with irregular duty schedules.
• use of wearable devices to monitor sleep quality/quantity.
• use of apps to minimise travel fatigue and jetlag associated with long-haul flight.
A snapshot of my research career:
• I lead the sleep and circadian rhythms research group at the Appleton Institute for Behavioural Science.
• I have been a Chief Investigator on ten national competitive grants (1 x NHMRC Project, 5 x ARC Discovery, 3 x ARC Linkage, 1 x ATSB).
• I have conducted research with peak organisations in the private sector (e.g. Virgin, Pacific National, Rio Tinto) and public sector (e.g. Civil Aviation Safety Authority, National Transport Commission, Australian Institute of Sport).
• I have published more than 100 refereed journal articles, book chapters, and conference papers.
• I have an h-index of 29 (Scopus).
• Two-thirds of my articles have been published in journals ranked in the top quartile of their respective fields (based on ISI impact factor).
Links to Profiles
My research profiles are available at:
• ResearchGate [PDFs of publications] – http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Gregory_Roach2
• Scopus – http://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.url?origin=resultslist&authorId=7005844479&zone=
• Google Scholar – http://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=pqYXu4gAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
Please contact me by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if:
• you would like a reprint of one of my papers.
• you are a student wishing to conduct a research project at undergraduate or postgraduate level.
• you work in higher education, government and/or industry and you are interested in research collaboration.
• you work in the media and you would like me to provide information, commentary, or an interview.
Photography: Headshots Adelaide
I am currently accredited for supervision in the following:
At the level of Mentor Supervisor